Sunday, February 17, 2013

Maavina midi tambli

One of my favorite dishes by amma :)

Ingredients:
3 pickled maavina midi
2 Tbsp grated coconut
1 cup thick yogurt
1 cup water
1 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chilli
1 dry red chilli
1 tsp mustard seeds
9-10 curry leaves
2 tsp oil
Salt.

Method:
1) Wash the maavina midi and cut into pieces. Dry it and fry in 1 tsp oil.
2) Grind this with coconut, cumin seeds, green chilli and 2 Tbsp water.
3) Mix this with yogurt and 1/2-1 cup of water (depending on the consistency you need). Check for salt.
4) Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds and wait for it to splutter. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and red chilli. Mix with tambli.
DONE!!!
Serve with rice

Tip: As I wanted it to be a bit more spicy, I added half a tsp of red chilli powder. If pepper powder is available, that would be better as well.
Substitute buttermilk instead of yogurt if available.

2 comments:

  1. This looks very yummy. Mangoes have arrived in Bangalore. I'm planning to make this :-) Dont know if I will get midi, but will try with Mavina kai.
    Liked all you pics!
    Following you , looking forward to more such tasty recipes :-)
    Ranjitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ranjitha,
    What would be better is to use maavina midi pickles than raw maavina midi. I looked at my blog and saw how you could be confused - I have updated it. Hope it makes more sense now :)
    This is how my amma makes it - having said that, may be you can use raw midi as well, but may need to increase the salt and chilli used :)
    Cheers,
    Akhila

    ReplyDelete