Sunday, October 18, 2015

Amma Magala Kitchen: Onion Pakoda

Although I have been food blogging for over 4 years now, most of my recipes are inspired by friends or internet. Amma is easily my favorite cook and yet I did not know how to make her signature dishes as I hardly entered the kitchen when I was in India :) 
Now that amma is here, and I am on maternity leave, the time is ripe to learn some of her time tested delicious recipes that Nikki and I craved for. 
The next 3 to 4 months, I intend to get amma to make some of my childhood favorites and blog about it in the Amma Magala Kitchen Series :)

Onion pakoda is one of my favorite snacks. Although deep fried, it does not retain as much oil as a bonda would. Also, it stays fresh and crisp for days making it ideal for dinner parties where you are preparing a number of dishes and would like to get started a day or two earlier. 

Ingredients:
1 cup refined flour / maida
1/2 cup chickpea flour / besan
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp ajwain powder
Pinch of asafoetida
1 onion: thinly sliced along length
2-3 curry leaves spring - finely chopped
1-2 tsp red chili powder
Salt
Oil 
Water

Method:
1. Mix all of the above ingredients (except oil, water and salt). Heat 2 tbsp oil and add it and mix once cool.
2, Mix ingredients to a thick paste with little water. Check for salt.
3. Heat oil for deep frying. Once hot enough, scoop out a teaspoon of batter and drop it into the oil. Depending on the size of the pan, you can drop in a few more pakodas.
4. Remove once the pakodas start to turn golden brown and place it on a paper towel. Repeat the same for remining batter
DONE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment